GETTING TO KNOW OUR RELIGION…ENRICHING OUR FAITH (Lent & Easter Quiz)
1. What and when is LENT…and how many days of Lent?
2. What is the meaning of the ashes imposed on our foreheads on Ash Wednesday? What are the words used in the imposition of ashes?
3. What is the Paschal Mystery?
4. How come we do not sing Alleluia during Lent?
5. What is fasting? What is abstinence? When do we fast and abstain?
6. Name some of our practices and devotions during lent.
How can we practice sacrifice and self-denial?
7. What is the difference between a crucifix and a cross?
8. Why is the purple color used during Lent? And the rose-colored vestment on the fourth Sunday of Lent?
9. What is the significance of Palm Sunday? What is the meaning of the palms that were blessed? And what do we do with them?
10. Why do we call it “Holy Week”?
11. Why do we call it “Good Friday”? (Jesus died…and death is regarded as bad)
12. What happened in the Garden of Gethsemani?
13. Why did Jesus wash the feet of his disciples?
14. What makes the stories of the Blind Man, Woman at the Well and Lazarus relevant during the Lenten season?
15. What is the meaning of Christ’s Passion and Death? Why did he have to die for us?
16. What were the “7 Last Words” of Jesus?
17. Who are the participants in the “Passion of Jesus”? What can we learn from them?
18. What happened at the Lord’s Supper (at the upper room)?
19. What is the Stations of the Cross…what can we learn from it?
20. What is the Mass of Chrism? When is it celebrated?
21. What is the connection of the Jewish celebration of Passover with our Christian celebrations?
22. What happened at the Transfiguration event (second Sunday)?
23. What is the significance of the Cleansing of the Temple?
24 What is the “Tenebrae”…when do we observe it?
25. What are the different rites during the Easter Vigil?
26. What is the Altar of Repose?
27. Who are the catechumens…what happens to them at the Easter Vigil?
28. What is the meaning of Jesus’ Resurrection for us Christians?
29. Why do we light the “Paschal Candle”?
And why do we light our candles during the Easter vigil?
30. Why is the Easter Egg associated with our celebration of Easter?
And what about the Easter Bunny? and Easter Lilies?
31. What is the “Easter Duty” practice? What are the benefits of the Sacrament of Reconciliation (Confession)?
32. What is the “Exsultet”?
33. Why do we renew our Baptismal Promises on Easter?
34. When is Easter? How is the date of Easter determined in the calendar? There are ____ days of Easter.
35. What makes Easter a happy and festive event? How do we celebrate?
36.. What is the significance of the empty tomb?
37. How did Thomas respond to the Risen Lord?
38. Where…when…and how did the Risen Lord appear to his
disciples? What are these events telling us?
39. What is the significance of Jerusalem? and Galilee?
40. What are the first words of the Risen Lord?
What is the message of the Risen Lord? How do we proclaim it?
Did you know… (Additional info)
And did you know that there was a time when the weekdays of Holy Week were “holy days of obligation” but that was changed by Pope Urban VIII in 1642. We are not obligated to go to church on these “holiest” of holy days. The days of the Holy Week are not Holy days of obligation.
And yes….we can eat meat on Holy Thursday.
There is NO Mass on Good Friday…it is a service/liturgy.
Some of the celebrations during the Triduum are long. Children (and even adults too!) may need some information to help them understand the rituals. And…. (remember) —— Fasting is followed by Feasting!
(Special thanks to Fr. Reynaldo A. Domagas)